In the Government Gazette of 8 May 1860, the Victorian Government set aside some 200 acres at the'intersection of the Moorabool River and the main line of road from Ballarat to Ballan' as a site for 'a racecourse and other purposes of recreation.'
Subsequently, on 13 July 1860, Trustees were appointed - the first being Messrs Lyon, MacPherson, Pyke, Fisken and Edols. Although records are sketchy, it appears the first organised race meeting of the Ballan Jockey Club was conducted in 1862.
The club raced on the Ballan site until 1969 when meetings were transferred to Dowling Forest, the home of the Ballarat Turf Club. Meetings continued there until 2001 when the Ballan Jockey Club and the Geelong Racing Club came to an agreement to hold the Ballan race meetings at the Geelong racecourse.
This modern racecourse provides an outstanding venue for the conduct of the Ballan Cup meeting. Members attending this meeting receive full member privileges and discounted dining packages.
The Ballan racecourse is now being used for pony club and other equestrian events. Some relics of the former racing days are still in evidence. These include the Judge's box and the running rail.
Members are advised that a special meeting has been called for:
Tuesday 09 April 2013
Ballan Mechanics Institute
to ammend the PURPOSES of the Club.
Country Racing Victoria
Country racing plays a prominent role in the heart and soul of Victoria. When you hear the thundering hoofs of the thoroughbred meet the fresh country turf, racing truly comes alive.
A registered company pursuant to the Corporations Act comprising of a Board of 10 Directors, Country Racing Victoria represents 48 professional clubs ranging from large clubs in the outer metropolitan areas of Melbourne such as Werribee, Cranbourne and Yarra Valley to small clubs in rural areas such as Edenhope, Manangatang and Towong.