Great Western Racing Club
P. 0408 740 203
- Club Events
- Club Information
- Getting There
- Contact Details
Seppelt Salinger Great Western CupSun 24 Jan 2016 GATESOPEN 11:00 AM
Get on over to the ‘Ultimate Country Experience’ at the Seppelt Salinger Great Western Cup Day, with plenty of Country themed activities. This year's event is again themed as Food, Wine...view more information
Great Western is located within one of Victoria's most picturesque regions - the Grampians. The Grampians and Great Western offer spectacular beauty for visitors, stunning wineries and country racing at its best.
The small Western Highway town of Great Western is home to the renowned Seppelt's of Great Western (Treasury Estate Wines) and Bests Great Western vineyard, both with wonderful cellar doors.
Our race is usually held on the Saturday closest to the Australia Day weekend. However, in 2015 we will race on Sunday the 25th of January and a full TAB meeting.
So why not make a long weekend of it?
The racecourse itself is as country as you will get and just as beautiful, it has an array of towering aged pine trees providing welcomed shade and relief from the heat of a Summer's day of racing. The racecourse is located in a 170 acre (70 hectare) recreation reserve, where patrons camp camp (unpowered) for free or access powered sites for a small fee.
Features of our Race Day include
- Food, Wine & Racing, featuring our Celbrity Chef - Emma Dean winner of the 2013 Master Chef
- 'Great Western Boat Regatta'. Enter your team to run down the straight and win cash prizes,
- 'Ultimate Country Experience' with Country themed activities, food, fashions and kids activities from Kelly Sport Activities,
- Bring your ute, tent or caravan and stay overnight at our well maintained camping area. (Please note that campfires are not permitted due to the fire danger of the season)
- Fne wines from Seppelt.
- A live, local cover band
Kids Activities include
- Face Painting,Badge making,Bead Designs, Crazy Hair Decorating,Brain Noodles,Sand Wizards, Tie making
- Tug of War, Relays & races, Giant Earthball, Soccer Shootout, Obstacle Course, Crazy Cricket, Footy Challenges
Travel & Accommodation
|ADDRESS||Moyston Road, Great Western|
|DISTANCE FROM MELBOURNE AIRPORT||Great Western is 219 kilometres north-west of Melbourne and approximately 2hrs 45mins from Melbourne airport|
A bus service will run from Horsham, Ararat, Stawell and Halls Gap. Please book online. Fees apply
From Melbourne City travel along the Western Hwy
|TRAIN||Visit www.vline.com.au (Western Victoria)|
|Grapevines were first planted at Great Western in 1863. Today, the area has become the focal point of one of Australia’s internationally renowned wine-growing regions as well as an attractive wine village.
Visit the region’s pioneer wineries, Seppelt and Best’s. Tours of the Seppelt Winery’s underground ‘drives’ are one of the region’s most popular activities, while the slab hut of Best’s Vineyard is one of the area’s historic highlights. After carrying out a tasting at both cellar doors, explore the village’s old churches and see the old toll gate.
Activities and attractions
Take one of the Seppelt Great Western Winery underground tours and explore the 3 kilometres of intricate tunnels that were dug by goldminers in the 1860s and 1870s. The tunnels, known as ‘drives’ have been classified by the National Trust and are still used today to house thousands bottles of maturing sparkling wine.
Take the self-guided cellar walk at Best’s Wines – established in 1866 the cellar door is housed in the original stables
Enjoy wine tasting at these two unique wineries.
Contact the Stawell & Grampians Tourism Information Centre 03 5358 2314
or contact the Ararat & Grampians Accommodation
View Larger Map
Wimmera Racing Club FULL Membership ($70) includes:
Member's pass to every race meeting, at all 9 Wimmera Racing Club racecourses
Copy of members' newsletter
- Access to members' facilities (where available)
- Full voting rights
- Opportunity to purchase additional season guest pass
- Discounts on various marquee and dining packages
- Non-raceday benefits such as special offers on accommodation
- 4 complimentary guest passes for non-feature days
- Members’ tickets at midweek thoroughbred meetings (excluding public holidays) in the metropolitan area
Members are able to purchase an additional guest pass for $40. The guest pass is fully transferable and gives access to all race meetings at Wimmera Racing Club.
Great Western Racing Club
Phone: 0408 740 203