Wangaratta Turf Club
P. (03) 57221242
- Club Events
- Club Information
- Getting There
- Contact Details
Racing began in 1845 at North Wangaratta. Ten years later the Club moved to its present site.
Years ago included in the racing programs were pony races, hurdle races and steeplechases, with a water jump in front of the grandstand.
The first Wangaratta Cup was run in 1904, before that time the premier race was called a plate. The Wangaratta Cup is now run in April. Two horses have won the Wangaratta Cup twice, Sarakos 1935 & 1936, Here's Cheers 1971 & 1972. St Patrick's Wangaratta Racing Club also used this track for their charity meetings from 1923-2003 and staged the first all grey horse race in Victoria at Wangaratta, and also the first Sunday meeting in the area on this track.
In 1985 the Wangaratta Turf Club was one of the first Victorian country clubs invited to race on Melbourne Cup Day, which has proven to be a bonanza for the club.
Makybe Diva whom became a household name in 2005 after her third consecutive Melbourne Cup Victory began her amazing career wins at Wangaratta over 1600 meters in a maiden on a heavy track, who would be the most notable horse to race at Wangaratta.
Wangaratta Turf Club holds 12 race meetings per year with the Arlington Park Estate Melbourne Cup Day meeting the most attended with over 5000 people on course each year. The Winsec Savings and Loans Wangaratta Cup is the Club's Premier Event held on the first Sunday in March. Other event days for the Club include the Twilight Christmas Party Race Day in December, Seniors race day in October and Kids day out meeting in the Summer holidays.
The Wangaratta Turf Club is the regions Major Training Centre having undergone a number of capital improvements over the past 16 months which include the refurbishment of the Female Jockey and Stewards Rooms, Resurfaced Sand Training Track, New Bullring installed, Re-constructed and widened Grass Training Track, and the latest project nearing completion is a state of the art Equine Swimming pool, which is concreted with filtration system and optional Bungy swimming operation.
Wangaratta services over 25 trainers on a weekly basis, with 14 trainers based on track resulting in an average of 100 horses per morning with continued growth expected as Wangaratta continues to work towards becoming Major Training, Equine Education and Racing Centre for Country Victoria.
Wangaratta Turf Club is Located just over 2 hours drive from Melbourne in North East Victoria.
Vline operate many daily services to Wangaratta via the Melbourne to Albury line, and is also accesable via Countrylink from New South Wales. Wangaratta is also located just 50 minutes south of the Albury Airport which connects with many regional centres and all capital cities around Australia.
If needing Accomodation, The Wangaratta Turf Club reccomends staying with our partners Quality Hotel Wangaratta Gateway, where you will have all the facilities and more that you would expect from a 4.5 Star Hotel with the highly reccomended Atrium Restaurant for your dining options.
Whilst in Wangaratta, you might also like to experience some of our fantastic local destinations including Snowfields, wineries, and gourmet food business's with further details available by checking out visitwangaratta.com.au
Catch the Bus to and from the Winsec Wangaratta Cup!
The Wangaratta Turf Club will be running a Free Wangaratta Bus service to get you too and from the track! Catch the Bus along the below route every 30 minutes from 11am and then get dropped off at the conclusion of The Black Sorrows & James Reyne. The Club will also be running a $10 Return Bus service from Mulwala, Yarrawonga, Bundalong, Bright, Myrtleford and Beechworth!
Catch the Bus to and from the Winsec Wangaratta Cup!
The Bus will be covering the above route departing stops at the following times, feel free to hail the bus along the route-
Judds Tavern 11:00am 11:30am 12:00pm 12:30pm
St Johns Nursing Home 11:03am 11:33am 12:03pm 12:33pm
Wangaratta High School (Phillipson St) 11:05am 11:35am 12:05pm 12:35pm
Rovers Football Ground 11:07am 11:37am 12:07pm 12:37pm
Chemart Chemist (Reid St) 11:10am 11:40am 12:10pm 12:40pm
Coles (Perry St) 11:13am 11:43am 12:13pm 12:43pm
Murdoch Rd 11:16am 11:46am 12:16pm 12:46pm
Wenhams Lane 11:19am 11:49am 12:19pm 12:49pm
Cribbes Rd 11:21am 11:51am 12:21pm 12:51pm
Town & Country Tavern 11:22am 11:52am 12:22pm 12:52pm
You can also hail the Bus at any designated Bus Stop along the route outlined above for it to stop during those times. What's better, catch the Free Wangaratta Bus service and receive a Free Race Book and $5 lunch voucher.
The $10 Return Bus Service will also be operating on the below Timetable with Bookings Essential to ensure service runs-
Mulwala- Ricky D's 11:00am
Yarrawonga Town Hall- 11:10am
Bundalong Tavern- 11:25am
Bright Bus Stop- 10:45am
Porepunkah Bus Stop- 10:55am
Myrtleford Bus Stop- 11:10am
Beechworth Bus Stop- 11:35am
Busses will return at the conclusion of the Black Sorrows and James Reyne.
Call the Club on 57 22 1242 for any further enquiries and to book your seat on the Bus.
Wangaratta Turf Club Membership is the best way to Get your Heart Racing!! With a number of fantastic value membership packages from just a single membership, to getting a thrill by having a share in a race horse or having a Gold package for you or your Business, there is hundreds to thousands of dollars of value across all packages.
SINGLE MEMBERSHIP- $70
- Entry into all twelve race meetings at Wangaratta during the 2013/2014 race season including Melbourne Cup Day.
- Admittance to the members' facilities which includes private TAB, toilet & bar.
- Members cash prize draws jackpotting $50 every race meeting.
- Complimentary Race book for each Race Meeting
- Complimentary Drink Voucher for each Race Meeting
- Discounted hospitality packages on all race days
- Invitation to members' events, including complimentary welcoming luncheon on Sunday 25th August.
- Voucher booklet for over $400 worth of value at over 15 Wangaratta Business's
- Discounted room hire of Oaks Conference & Function Centre.
- Reciprocal rights at Benalla, Wodonga, Echuca, Tatura, Towong and Geelong racing clubs
- Monthly members' newsletters
- Regular member events including social bus trips, club functions & racing tours.
MAKYBE OWNERS CLUB- $370
If you're looking for fun, excitement, spine-tingling moments and enjoy the beauty of the thoroughbred …then it's time to get amongst it and join the 'sport of kings', where over $180 million in prizemoney is on offer across 4500 races in Victoria annually.
Whether you strike a win at fabulous Flemington or in the charm of Wangaratta, owning a racehorse with family, friends, and fellow members can change lives and has never been easier or more affordable!
Aside from the lucrative prizemoney and bonuses to pocket, racehorse ownership can change lives, create life-long friendship and unforgettable experiences both on and off the racetrack like it did for Tony Santic after Makybe Diva won her first ever race here at Wangaratta in 2002.
- Receive all the benefits of a Single Membership as well as the Thrill of Owning a share in a Race Horse. You will receive a percentage share of a Race Horse trained by Wangaratta Trainer Craig Dickson which will be managed by the Wangaratta Turf Club. You will receive weekly updates on where the horse is at in its training program, have opportunities to learn and understand the process of training a race horse to get it into a race as well as tips along the way!
- Complimentary Entry to all racecourses where horse races. There will be three complimentary Makybe Owners Club functions throughout the year including an all inclusive Makybe Owners Club Marquee on Winsec Wangaratta Cup Day with a special guest speaker.
- This Membership Package will give you the ultimate Thrill of a Racing Experience at a very affordable level of all inclusive payments for 12 months with some fantastic benefits along the way.
GOLD MEMBERSHIP- $900
The Gold Membership offers some fantastic value with thousand of dollars of savings available with our media partners as well as some fantastic on course value for you and your business.
- Two single memberships with all the single benefits
- Two tickets into the Ultimate Dining Package on Wangaratta Cup Day
- $1000 discounted full page advertising package with Wangaratta Chronicle
- Up to $1000 worth of free advertising with 102.1 Edge FM and 1566 3NE
- Naming rights to one race during the 2013/2014 season which includes:
* Temporary signage at entrance gates
* Racebook advertising
* 6 passes into members' facilities to enjoy 6 complimentary meals
* Extensive media coverage in local and national newspapers, radio, television coverage on Sky Racing and TVN with a potential audience of over 1 million people.
* Race name printed in all local and national pubs on form guides.
- Opportunity to have a celebration drink with the winning connections of your race.
- Any extra signage that you may have can be put around the course in ideal locations to maximise your exposure.
- Advertising year round in members' newsletter.
5 YEAR MEMBERSHIP- $350
- Show your commitment to the Wangaratta Turf Club and save money by purchasing a 5 year Wangaratta Turf Club Membership at today's membership rate.
For $350 you will receive all the membership benefits listed in the single membership each year for 5 years, bonus ticket in all of the members cash draws and recognition in members newsletter.
As an extra benefit, sign up before our first Race meeting on Sunday 25th of August and receive a $50 Bi-Rite Electrical Voucher and a $20 Cafe Martini Voucher giving you this years membership cost back straight away!
Wangaratta Turf Club
Phone: (03) 57221242